[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #403

At 12:00 AM 2/27/1998 -0600, Ryan Hunter <ryhunter@linfield.edu> asked:
>	If anyone has any other suggestions for a good PCT type pack I
>would be very interested to hear what you have to say.

Here is what I am planning:   Get a Jansport Nepali (they are on sale on
the net now for a reasonable price).   Remove the bag, the upper bag
support brace and associated hardware.  Retain the shoulder straps and hip
belt mechanisms.  At this point your frame and support weighs about 34 oz.
Make new back panels (to keep the frame off your back) and a new bag (from
nylon mesh).  Total weight about 37 oz. and it will carry as much as you
want in comfort.

I thought a lot about making my own frame and came to the conclusion I
could not meet my target of $90 per pound saved.   The Jansport frame is
quite nicely done, and the suspension is first rate.  I wish the back bands
were separate from the bag so I didn't need to make new ones.

As for waterproofness, I am planning to carry my tarp ready to deploy over
my pack and myself for waterproof cover.

If you will not modify, REI has a frame on sale for about $90 now.  I have
not looked at it in great detail but it weighs 66 oz.
--
Dave Gomberg	mailto:gomberg@wcf.com
FormMaestro  <http://www.wcf.com>