[pct-l] re: ice axes

Svein, I just hiked a particularly troublesome leg of the pct this weekend
along San Gorgonio Mountains and found a short, cheap & simple ice ax was
very useful.  More troublesome was the deep, soft snowdrifts which made
walking without snowshoes impossible.

A ranger in the national park said that climbers have had difficulty with
snow ridges lying a foot or two beneath the surface...hikers stomp through
the surface snow, hit the ice, and go tumbling down the mountain.  He added
that they expect heavy snow for the next 2 to 3 months due to El Nino storms.

There's a useful website with up-to-date info on hiking that area, search
"Gorgonio Mountain Volunteer Association" under Yahoo & you'll find it.

I hope this helps.

I would like to know what type of ice axe that are recommended for the
PCT. I assume weight is the most important issue.

Any recommendations / prices.

As I'm from Norway it would be convenient for me to buy one (they are
cheaper in the US) when I leave fro the PCT. Is early May a good season
for buying an Ice Ax?

Svein