[pct-l] Water purification

Well, Butch Wiggs found:

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 07:46:07 -0700
From: Butch Wiggs <VVR@EdisonLake.com>
Subject: [pct-l] VVR Info: $30 water filter

Hi all,
I was at a sports show in the Bay Area last week and came across a
product I thought would be of value for most. A water filter for under
$30 seems to deserve a look. There is no pumping. Its just like a
squeeze bottle. I saw it work with some water I wouldn't even think of
drinking. I would like to know an opinion of this product, as we would
like to stock something like this for the occasional hiker that forgets
or breaks one. I must have worked on or tried to fix at least a dozen
last year, often winding up going to Fresno to find one and taking an
extra day off the trail for the hiker.  Check it out. There web site
address is,
http://www.safewateranywhere.com
Good Luck Class of 98
Butch & Peggy
Vermilion Valley Resort
Edison Lake, CA
http://www.edisonlake.com

I ordered the "sports water bottle" and the "canteen".   They look like
what they are called (duh....).  They weight just about 4.5 oz.  The water
bottle has some kind of anti-slip ring about half way up the bottle.   The
filter appears to be some kind of porous waste material (like is sometimes
used for a abrasive, kind of charcoal color).  It also puts out some grey,
charcoal colored water the first fill (they recommend you discard this).
The giardia claim is that it rejects about 999/1000 giardia organisms.  The
first question I have is "Is that enough?"    From my microbiology I would
say generally, NO!   But I don't know the degree of contamination in Sierra
streams.

The products seem nicely made and pretty honestly described.  If I had done
all that work and cut the cost and weight of water filtration by a factor
of 2-4, I wouldn't sell it for $30.  But then if it had cost more I would
not have bought it!

I am going to keep the canteen (it is slightly larger and looks "tougher").
  If you want the sports bottle, send me $30.  Otherwise I will mail it
back to them.

They appear to be pretty good folks to deal with.   Keep an open mind!

The water that filters through seems pretty good.   Certainly it is palatable.

Please ask any questions you have.    Dave
--
Dave Gomberg	mailto:gomberg@wcf.com
FormMaestro  <http://www.wcf.com>