[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #388

Original question from Tom Best-
> Some people used a tin can and some alcohol for a stove.  How did they
> work?

Hi Tom-
I used a "trail" made tin can alcohol stove through the State of
Washington on my PCT thru hike this past summer and was so pleased
that I do not see the need to ever again use the heavier, more complex white gas
stoves, with the exception of winter trips.

During my PCT thru-hike last summer,  and after protracted and
recurring discussion with Jeremy Wilson about how to reduce weight
and bulk of gear during the remainder of our treks, we finally made alcohol stoves out of tin cans and were very
satisfied with the performance. They weighed in at ~3 ounces compared
to 1 pound for a MSR Whisperlight International. Jeremy had been
testing and successfully using a Trangia alcohol stove, that weighed
6.5 ounces, from Echo Lake/S. Tahoe City through N. California and
Oregon. (MSR distributes the Trangia alcohol stove - cost about $20 - see
Jeremy's post to this list in December 97 on the web page with the PCT-L
archives - I have been to this page in the past, but just now could not find
the link to it from the PCTA home page as I remember previously -
perhaps Brick can provide this information to the list and on the
PCTA home page, if the archives are still in existence).

We compared the Wisperlight (using white gas) to the
Trangia and tin can stoves (using denatured alcohol {ethanol}). We found that,
even at colder summer temperatures (30-40 deg. F) and at
higher altitude (as I remember without checking, the trail N of Tahoe
does not exceed 8,000 or 9,000 feet), the alcohol stove took only 1
minute longer to boil 3/4 liter of water. Cooking a meal (boiling
water, adding food, reboiling and cooking for up to 3 minutes
rarely consumed more than about 1 ounce of denatured alcohol.

The only criticism I had of the
system was that it tended to soot up the bottom of the cook pot (we
used the ultra-light and ultra expensive 1.3 liter titanium pots -no noticeable
difference in performance compared to aluminum or stainless steel).
The sooting occurred because it was difficult to provide an even
distribution of air across the alcohol to support complete
combustion. However, this was only a minor problem and the soot could
be easily scrubbed/wiped off.

We used denatured alcohol (100% ethanol - denaturing makes it
poisonous to drink so it can be sold in a less restricted
'non-spirits' category). Denatured alcohol can be purchased either in a
pharmacy or hardware store (at least 2 times cheaper in the hardware
store). Jeremy spoke with other 97 thru-hikers who used rubbing alcohol (70%
isopropanol) with their Trangia stove through the High Sierras and on many
other trips in the Rockies. They claimed that it performed less
efficiently than does denatured and results in a longer boil time,
but that it was satisfactory as a substitute when denatured is not
available. You can also mail alcohol in resupply parcels without ground
transport restrictions.

We made two tin can stoves in the Columbia Gorge using a small
(~2" diameter) Hershey's chocolate syrup can to hold the alcohol
and a larger (~4" diameter) red kidney bean can as the pot support
that was placed around the alcohol can.
Both cans were cut in half with a hack saw (thus yeilding two
stoves). The 1/2 Hershey can was used as is.
The pot support was made from the 1/2 kidney
bean can by removing the ends and using a large nail to punch holes all around
it to provide an air supply to the alcohol in the 1/2 Hershey can.
Then I found some stiff 1/8th inch diameter wire (stiff enough to
hold a 1.3 liter pot of food) outside a hardware
store, hack sawed three lengths (~4-5") per pot support can and bent
the top 1" of each wire to a right angle. The straight end of each of
these 'pot support' wires was threaded downward through two vertically aligned
nail holes in the pot support can so that they extended about 1" above
the pot support can.

I would encourage anyone to try out home made tin can alcohol stoves
for themselves. They are easy to make, materials are readily
available, they are cheap, durable, efficient enough for one person,
and, best of all, extremely lightweight.

Best wishes to you PCT '98ers, as well as the PCT '97ers I met.
-Bob Betz

Robert J. Betz, CHMM
Environmental Scientist
LTI Environmental Engineering
501 Avis Drive, Ann Arbor, Michigan  48108
(313)332-1200
Facsimile (313) 332-1212
rjb@limno.com
http://www.limno.com