Re: [pct-l] Park Business Permits/guiding costs

>First off, remember that we are talking about permits to do business in the
>Parks and Forests, not just hike through them.

Yeah, that's why I was asking how much the (business) permits would be.

>I worked with an outfitter that offered a Muir trip last year (see
>http://www.netreach.net/~redrock/index.html ) he charged $1450 for the 21
>day trip, and that included food, transport from San Fran to Yosemite and
>from Lone Pine to Las Vegas and coordinating a food drop at Muir Trail Ranch.

Sounds like what I would expect to be included. My point was that the trip I
read about in the January '98 Outside magazine costs $3245!! They're running
two trips this summer, so let's look at the numbers:

>Figure 5 tourists so about $7000 income.

with 10 tourists that's $32,450.

>21 days x 5= 105 days of meals @ $10 = $1050

they allow 23 days so that's 23 x 10 x 10 = $2300

>Van and Driver to Trailhead. $250
>Van and Driver from trailhead. $250

van and driver x 2 x 2 trips = $1000

>Aranging food drop at MTR, $200

$400

>Permits $1000

$2000

>Personal Gear for the Guide (you I assume) ??

Already own...

>That leaves about $4000 for insurance, advertising, phone calls, planning,
>AND baby sitting the whining tourists for a month. Not really that good a
>deal.....

Advertising remains the same. I teach a martial art so I know that
$1,000,000 in liability insurance (for 50 people for a year) costs about
$800, advertising for 2 trips is the same as for 1, phone calls yeah - let's
ballpark at $250, planning will take time (but shouldn't increase much from
one trip).

Without a number for advertising, I'm coming out with $25,700. Not bad for a
summer's worth of work, in a place that I love, even if the clients whine.
Heck, everybody else works with either whining customers or whining bosses,
and they're doing it with the smell of billions of hamburgers past in their
nostrils.  :)

Anyway, it's fun to punch up the numbers.

Thanks for the info!

Karen

Karen Elder
bluesky@Rt66.com