Re: [pct-l] food

On 02/08/98 19:02:46 you wrote:

>I am planning on thru-hiking the PCT next year and I want to dehydrate some
of my own food. I am curious as to how long the dehydrated food keeps. Once
>dehydrated, will the food keep indefinitely or is there a "shelf life" on
>certain things.
>
>Robert "Solo" Mack
>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists *

Hi Robert,

We still have food left over from our PCT '97 trip and it is still tasty! If
you vacuum seal your dehydrated foods after they are processed their shelf
life is much longer.  Walt and I are going to dehydrate some snack food and
veggies to add to our rice/noodle/misc. dinners.  If you purchase already
dehydrated potatoe, chicken, veg soups in bulk (COSTCO, or other warehouse
stores are cheaper) you will save yourself a lot of hastle..  We learned
that most of our daily diet needed to be snack food for energy, we ate alot
while we hike.  I will dehydrate mostly fruit and we will then pick up lots
of candy bars and cookies on the trail. Kurt Herzog (kpherzog@cdsnet.net)
has a great list of stores to purchase already dehydrated food from and
Karen Elder (bluesky@Rt66.net)is also dehydrating her own food and has some
great ideas, you might want to contact them.

Good Luck, hope to see you on the trail

Pat