[pct-l] Great Places to stay!

Walt and I were lucky enough to miss Echo Lake  -- even our brief encounter
to get our much delayed box and letter was more than enough for us to not
recommend sending anything there.  Your supply box and mail are much safer
sent to the PO in South Tahoe.

Like Andy, we also felt we were treated with contempt/rudness by the lady
that handled the mail.  My Sister-In Law sent an "over night special
delivery package" of medication to Echo Lake and we were told for three days
it wasn't there!  Walt tried "smoozing" with no success and we even stayed a
day longer in South Tahoe to see if it would come in.  We waited until after
the mail was delivered on the fourth day, of our extended stay.  I had to
stay off because of feet problems anyway -- so not such a big deal, but it
could have been. Before we took our boat trip across the lake to the
trailhead (that was great), my "overnighter" still hadn't arrived!  Bye the
way, I finally got my "over nighter" package in September -- returned from -
-  you guessed it -- "Echo Lake!"  My tracer said it had been there all
along and it took me two months to get it!!!

I heartily recommend that you stay in South Lake Tahoe at the Tahoe Sunset
Lodge.  Sam Patel and his family will make up for all the hard times you had
on the trail!  To make a reservation call 1-800-755-8246.  Sam has gone out
of his way to make PCT Hikers feel special!  Last year he would pick you up
at Echo Lake and then return you back to continue your hike.  Some people
were taking advandage of his good deed and didn't even offer to pay him gas
for the trip, so I don't know how he will work it this year.  Sam gave us a
reasonable price during the week, it is higher  on the week-ends.  Great
rooms, clean with all the ammeneties plus a small refrigerator.  Tahoe
Sunset Lodge is within a short walking distance to a grocery/everything
store, outdoor store, lots of Outlet stores with great restaurants all
around. The town trolley bus goes right by the Lodge taking you all over
town and to the gambling spots in Nevada for great, cheap food and fun!

Another stop that was very PCT Hiker friendly was at the Big Bear Lake Fire
Station located just a couple of blocks from the Post Office.  The
paramedics answered questions regarding our various medical needs and
directed us to the proper physician if they felt it warranted the visit.  I
can't remember her name, but the lady who was the Administrative Manager
there was great in helping us with ANY questioins/problems we might have.
They treated us with friendly and personal interest!  We even had a bathroom
with shower dedicated for our personal use -- what luxury!   We were allowed
to pitch our tents on the grassey are in the enclosed courtyard for free.
It wouldn't hurt to give a donation before you leave, although it is never
asked for.  One night the guys grilled some fish they had caught and gave us
some as a treat! Stores and restaurants were a long way away, but you could
ride the bus to several good restaurants (the Sizzler was great!) and
resupply for food. There were some outdoor stores --  not great but
adequate. If the firemen were going into town they were more than willing to
take us in and if they were coming back when we were, arranged to pick us
up-- can't say enough good things about the wonderful people here!

Time is a flying! Just 13 more weeks until May, but who is counting?  We
will leave the first of June in Sierra City -- hope to see you on the trail!

Pat