[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #373

At 12:00 AM 1/30/98 -0600, Mark Dixon wrote:
>What is the recommended method for dehydrating tomato paste/sauce. I just
>wasted four trays of paste by drying it on wax paper, that was stupid, the
>wax melts and the paste is permanently fused to the paper. Also, what other
>things are good to dehydrate, ie. economical vs. buying it at the store. I
>have read peoples accounts of rehydrating vegies on the trail being a pain
>due to the time it takes.

I too have had good results with Saran Wrap.  Although I am usually loathe
to buy brand names, I find that storebrand cling wrap is often too thin, and
kinda fuses with the food.  I dust the sauce "leather" lightly with corn
starch (to keep it from clumping in my pack) and chop it up into small bits.

Other foods?  Mangos and watermelon, brother.  Try 'em and love 'em. :-)
:-)  :-) The mangoes are just great and the sugars in the watermelon become
intensely concentrated once all that water is removed.  Dry the watermelon
gently at very low heat, or it tends to turn black.  I don't know why.

I have seldom had a problem rehydrating veggies as long as they were chopped
very small (more surface area relative to volume), especially with
non-instant, pasta based meals.   I have found that the "cover and
soak/cool" stage is crucial.  With meals based on instant carbos like rice,
couscous, potatoes, grits, etc, I usually just throw the (finely chopped)
veggies in the cold water and bring it all to a boil (more time in the water).

Ahh, the culinary delights of thru-hikes!

John