Re: [pct-l] dehydrating food

At the expensive "natural foods" store here in Albuquerque, they sell
dehydrated vegies to be eaten "as is", i.e., not rehydrated. They use peas
and corn and very tiny bits (diced to the size of the peas and corn) of red
peppers and carrots (from what I can make out by looking). Some dehydrated
foods seem to be too hard to eat that way - too big? Or maybe they cook, or
parboil, these vegies first. Anyway, they do make a tasty snack but are
quite expensive to buy. Has anyone tried to make something like this?

Karen

>rehydration time for vegetables depends a lot on how thick or large you
>cut, slice, dice or otherwise process the material before drying. What
>I've successfully dehydrated and used on the trail:
..snip...
>thinly sliced broccoli stems. Peel first, then slice about one-quarter
>inch thick. Parboil about five minutes before you dry them. They rehydrate
>well.

Karen Elder
bluesky@Rt66.com
P.O. Box 20093