[pct-l] Trail Crest to Whitney Portal on a thruhike

Mike,
     The trail to Mt. Whitney is well travelled, even in June.
The people I talked to said the trail up was mostly snow-free,
but with some icy traverses.  An ice axe would be a good idea.
The trail avoids the big bowl that is so much fun to slide down
when you're headin' downhill.  Proper use of an ice axe is also
required for safety in a glissade.  Get trained!

Brian

P.S.  No east-side trailhead except Whitney Portal is an easy
hitchhike in June, but Horseshoe Meadows (Trail Pass) and
Onion Valley (Kearsarge Pass) should be reasonable.

P.P.S  Lone Pine post office is CLOSED on Saturday as well as
Sunday!

------------   ORIGINAL ATTACHMENT   --------
SENT 01-14-98 FROM SMTPGATE @DSS1 (mikeh@royalrobbins.com)

all this talk of resupply at lone pine has raised a question in my mind.
what is the trail like just below trail crest in june when thruhikers are
there?  i've been there in august, and it seems to me that it would be one
hellishly steep snow/ice slope at that time.  am i wrong?  is the trail
exposed that early?  thru hikers, do tell.  thanks!

mike
ke kaahawe AT92 TYT94 PCTsoon
mikeh@royalrobbins.com