[pct-l] Lone Pine/Charlotte Lake

JWilsonVW  writes:

>One option people aren't mentioning is hiking straight through to Vermillion
>Valley Resort on Lake Edison from Kennedy Meadows. I personally had planned on
>Independence/Lone Pine until I thoroughly checked the options. I'd rather
>carry the extra few days food, and stay out in the hills then drop so much
>elevation and wait for rides to town and back.

Last year during a North-South JMT hike, I hooked up with a hiker that had
arranged a resupply at the Charlotte Lake ranger station (just South of Glenn
Pass). He had a backcountry outfitter pack supplies in to the Charlotte station
where there is a bear-proof hiker box located out back.

It cost him about 100 dollars for a huge resupply package (a twelve pack of
Heineken was even in there) to be packed in and the cost also included the
packing out and mailing of any extra equipment or garbage that the hiker left
behind for the outfitter. Kind of steep but it sounds like the ride back from
Lone Pine might cost just as much. I have the guy's email address.  I'll check
on the outfitter's schedule and prices.

Randy