Re: [pct-l] Stealthily as I go...

>Registered camping in designated campgrounds and campsites would
>likely be the only legal option, correct?

The Yosemite website specifies existing, well-used campsites that
don't break rules such as minimum distance from water (100') and road
(1 mile).

It also specifies using one of a list of precautions (canister, box,
hang from cable or branch) to protect food from bears.  Bears around
Yosemite are now prepared to "saw" off branches to get hung food
(happened to me in '96).  And to air condition your bag and take your
food (Opinion:  Sure if one's camp is stealthy enough this probably
won't happen.  But, it does not seem ethical to me when visiting the
bear's home to do anything which could cause him to be destroyed by
the authorities [to say nothing of the risk of the bear shredding a
down bag].  So, I wish much success to the poster who is developing a
lighter canister!)

Happy trails,
Bill