[pct-l] pct starting date

I hiked the AT this summer and would like to try the PCT in 98. I have
no experience with  ice axes and would like to minimize the amount of
time spent hiking through snow. I averaged around 20 mile a day on the
AT (except in the NH & Maine) and took only a handful of layover days.
I'm thinking of using Jardines 4 1/2 month plan which recommends
starting the first weeek of May. If snowfall amounts are normal this
winter do you agree with a early May starting time for someone in my
situation? Any advice would be appreciated!