[pct-l] re: John Koch-Ice Axes

John asked about the durability of a particular axe. I can't help you with
specifics John, but during  my '82 thru-hike, lite axes weren't yet
available. I carried an axe though from border to border, that I ordered to
be long enough to double as a short hiking staff (my arm would be slightly
bent when the axe was at my side on solid ground). This axe is aluminum
shafted axe with steel point, adze and pick. This length worked great for
stability in tricky areas like steam crossings and climbing over
downed-logs.

Most of the time, I carried it parallel to the ground in my hand. It was
lite enough to not upset the natural swinging of the arms during one's gate.
On only one or two days, did I lash the axe to my pack. And yes, when it was
on my pack, I objected to the weight. In my hand though, it was just fine
and it was always THERE when I needed it. I'll never replace this axe but I
do look at the new ones in the shops. When I look at the axes, I look to see
if longer lengths are available, and that the axe if comfortable to carry,
with the hand on the head, adze forward. Most new axes have welded heads and
square uncomfortable corners. I gravitate to the axes with rounded edges
between the pick and adze.

One comfort note though on carrying an axe, the aluminum shafted axes can be
cold to carry at times. Wrapping the shaft in tape, in a manner that
wouldn't impede the travel of an ice axe loop, could help. This would also
help keep your hand from turning black, once the paint wears-off and your
hand begins to polish that aluminum shaft. I didn't do this, and the axe was
a constant source of discoloration. My axe was a life saver in a couple
situations in snow-bound travel above Lake Tahoe, and I bring it on any trip
where I'll be at elevation.

Ken Marlow