Re: [pct-l] Re: Horses on the PCT

<< They need to be maintained beause they are a trail. That is they consist
of
 compacted vegetative free soil. Put that surface on a slope, add rain and
 you have erosion, far more erosion than will be cause by horses. >>

  That's pretty funny. A trail that I helped to build several years ago, in
Sanborn County Park( Santa Clara Co, CA) is still thriving. This is an area
that gets 40-60 inches of rain per year.

   The switchback on the trail looks exactly the same as the day we built it.
And It's been through 2 fairly heavy rain years( more than 100% of normal).

   Because that trail was properly built, it will last for years, even
decades before any work needs to be done on the trail itself. Now, it will
need to have brush cleared eventually, especially the poison oak, but that's
an easy job for a crew of 2 or 3..

   I've built and maintained enough trails to at least have some inkling of
what I'm talking about. But the ability to travel on rough trails will help
greatly in the Sierra, and even more so in the Apps, from what I hear..

Mike