[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #279

pct-l-digest wrote:

> pct-l-digest        Wednesday, October 22 1997        Volume 01 :
> Number 279
>
> In this issue:
>
>     [pct-l] Running shoes and light boots
>     [pct-l] socks
>     Re: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #277

> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 08:31:00 -0500
> From: Ken Marlow <kmarlow@ngs.org>
> Subject: [pct-l] Running shoes and light boots
>
> I think I'm envious. I did an '82 thru-hike with heavy full leather
> mountaineering/extended backpacking boots with 3/4 length steel
> shanks,
> Norwegian Welts and standard Vibram Soles. Richale (sp) Rontondos I
> think. I
> rarely twisted an ankle during that trip, and if I did, it wasn't a
> big
> deal. I replaced the boots at Timberline Lodge. The inside near the
> heels
> rotted-out as well as some stitching on the inside sides of the boot.
> Aside
> from that, they were still in pretty good shape. On the PCT there were
> couple days when I wore sneakers for some road walking (late winter)
> and my
> feet wanted to spill-over the sides.
>    Because of some  weak ankles, I continue to wear heavy boots, Asolo
>
> Yukons, for any backpacking trip. On day hikes I wear lighter leather
> Vasque
> Clarions. These lighter boots might seem like overkill to a lot of
> you,
> having a shank and all. I took these lighter boots on their first
> overnight
> backpack trip on the AT. Two miles out on a flat, easy section, I
> twisted my
> ankle big time. The injury happened a couple months ago and I'm still
> coping
> with it. I've read Ray's book, that's what prompted me to take the
> chance
> using lighter boots. I suppose the switch is something one really has
> work-up to (let alone the idea of running shoes), or that its not for
> those
> who have sustained previous ankle injuries.
>
> Ken Marlow
> * From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info
> http://www.hack.net/lists *
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 13:11:46 -0700
> From: Brick Robbins <brick@ix.netcom.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] socks
>
> My personal preference for socks are Wigwam Ultimax training socks.
> The
> soles are grey and made of olefin, an extremely durible hydophobic
> fiber,
> and the uppers are made from a more hydrophylic nylon. This serves to
> wick
> water from the soles to the uppers.
>
> I used just 3 pair on my california hike (wear a clean pair while one
> or
> two are drying), and I still wear the same three pair regularly. Last
> [...]

My name is Myles Murphy,
I thru hiked in 97. Andyman made some comments about shoes. I agree with

everything he said. I and my partner Dale wore tennis shoes to start.
they were great for the first month. After that I changed to Nike ACG
cross trainers because the base of my feet were starting to hurt. Beware

pain at the base of the feet. It is usually the start of a serious
stress injury. However wearing light tennis shoes at the start I think
reduces thr trauma on your feet. Even better than Ray Jardines's tennis
shoes are walking shoes. For example New Balance makes some excellent
Walking shoes that give x-tra sole support. I too wore nylon socks for a

lot of the trip. I however changed into wool and poly/wool combo sock s
about half way thru just to give that x-tra bit of cushioning.
My partner Dale wore regular tennis shoes all the way to the Washington
border. He had chronic foot pain for the whole way. He changed to big
Merill boots in an attempt to protect his soles. Big mistake. He got bad

blisters. started to walk funny and as a result got Achilles tendon
problems and had to quit 75 miles from Canada. Unless you are an ulta
light hiker, and i mean ulta light i dont't think are feet were meant to

go such long distances without good sole support. I personally believe a

good way to use Ray Jardines ideas is to compromise them. Don't hike in
$20 tennis shoes or $150 moon boots but $60 cross trainers. Don't eat
corn pasta everyday but every third or 2nd day.
Don't hike with a tarp for the whole trip but switch to a tent halfway
through etc.
Hey it worked for me. But then again two hikers are never ever alike.