[pct-l] Running shoes and light boots

I think I'm envious. I did an '82 thru-hike with heavy full leather
mountaineering/extended backpacking boots with 3/4 length steel shanks,
Norwegian Welts and standard Vibram Soles. Richale (sp) Rontondos I think. I
rarely twisted an ankle during that trip, and if I did, it wasn't a big
deal. I replaced the boots at Timberline Lodge. The inside near the heels
rotted-out as well as some stitching on the inside sides of the boot. Aside
from that, they were still in pretty good shape. On the PCT there were a
couple days when I wore sneakers for some road walking (late winter) and my
feet wanted to spill-over the sides.
   Because of some  weak ankles, I continue to wear heavy boots, Asolo
Yukons, for any backpacking trip. On day hikes I wear lighter leather Vasque
Clarions. These lighter boots might seem like overkill to a lot of you,
having a shank and all. I took these lighter boots on their first overnight
backpack trip on the AT. Two miles out on a flat, easy section, I twisted my
ankle big time. The injury happened a couple months ago and I'm still coping
with it. I've read Ray's book, that's what prompted me to take the chance
using lighter boots. I suppose the switch is something one really has to
work-up to (let alone the idea of running shoes), or that its not for those
who have sustained previous ankle injuries.

Ken Marlow