[pct-l] shoes

Laurie Lemieux wrote:

>>For the class of 97,
        How many pairs of shoes did you go through.  In your planning did
you plan for your feet swelling and buy a larger pair?
                thanks, Laurie '98<<

During my thru hike in 96 my running shoes lasted about 500 miles each.  You
possibly could go a little more than that, but the tread will wear out and
your traction will become slippery.

Swelling?  My normal shoe size is 11.5 narrow-width.  I started from Campo
with 12 normal-width.  At Kennedy Meadows I went into Ridgecrest for boots,
and I fit nicely into a pair of size 13 Hi-Tecs.  At Sierra City in the
far-northern Sierra I started again with size 12 shoes.  Going back to a
smaller size caused problems with my feet, resulting in a bout with
tendonitus.  I called Road Runner sports and ordered size 13 shoes, which
did the trick, and the tendonitus eventually went away.  I ended up mailed
back home the size 12 shoes, which still feel a little tight.

Your selection of shoe size is pretty important, but I doubt everyone's feet
swell like mine did.  If I were to hike the PCT again, I would not purchase
all my shoes in advance.  Instead, I would call Road Runner Sport's toll
free number from the supply stop about 10 days before I needed new shoes,
and order the type and size of shoe I will need.  Laurie, have fun planning
for your adventure!

Roger Carpenter
PCT 96