Re: [pct-l] Horses and Hikers should be friends

Mikel G. Edwards wrote:

> After all, they are an important part of our American
> History.

Just because they are an important part of our American History does not entitle or
warrant the degradation of the trail.  After all the logging industry is also an
important part of our American History.  Another part of our American History used to be
a major contributor to the water pollution of our lakes, rivers and streams.  They, the
paper industry, have vastly improved their operations to now be a responsible part of
our industrial community, as have many other industries.

> We must all do our part to protect and care for the trail
> so that it will be there for our children's children's children.

Here! Here!

> We are a small community, lets all respect each other.

We are, in fact, a larger community than you may expect.  Simply because the membership
of the PCTA is not large doesn't mean that they don't represent the interests of a much
larger entity.  I know for a fact of several thru hikers that have never joined the PCTA
yet fully support all preservation and maintainance efforts.

I have never been to nor may ever visit the Nth America Wildlife Area on the north slope
of Alaska.  Yet I care about and have lobbied for preservation of its protected status
based upon the simple knowledge that it is there and will be there for our children's
children's children.

Thus there exists a very large community that cares for and supports the preservation of
national crown jewels the like of the PCT.  Unfortunately, it may take a high profile
disaster to raise their ire to the level to act in regards to their cares.

Greg Hummel
'77 er