[pct-l] Hiking amputees??

Hi All,
        Yesterday one of my hiking buddies was in a traffic accident which
tragically caused him to lose his left leg below the knee.
        This guy has been an ardent backpacker, and has loved hiking the
John Muir Trail as much as anything in life.   We hiked the Virgin River
Narrows last month in Zion, and had a great time.
        Well I know he could probably be outfitted with a new artificial
limb, but I'm curious to know if anyone on the list knows anyone who still
hikes after such an amputation?  Are there people out there doing trips with
artificial limbs?  I'd like to hear about them.
Kevin Corcoran
kevin@hughes.net