Re: [pct-l] Re: horses on pct / blisterfree

<< also, trails are constructed and maintained with horse traffic in mind.
 although i can ride, i have always been a backpacker.  now as a maintainer
 for a foot/horse path, i can truly appreciate the differences in
 construction technique and considerations.  a trail properly constructed
 for horses can withstand the punishment better than one constructed solely
 for foot traffic (pun not intended, but credit gladly accepted). >>

  Perhaps you can appreciate this, then, coming from a maintainer/builder/
user of trails..

  If it were not for the horses being on the trail, the trails would be
easier and cheaper to maintain. Allow me to explain:

  If a trail is built to stock standards, it must be reinforced, and will
thus be more costly. If it were built to hiking standards, it could be less
wide, less clear of brush, and would( in most areas) not have to be
reinforced.

  Of course, this would put a lot of trail crews out of work. But I'm willing
to sacrifice that part of volunteering or working to cut the need for
unnecessary spending by the government..

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/6736