[pct-l] re: Kelly and the '82 Thru-hike

Kelly Flowers writes:
  Any 1982 PCTers, or other Oregonians out there?

Hey Ho! Yup, I did my thru-hike that year. A solo effort the year of the
"Late Winter"(I guess like this year). I started April's fools day (in a
wind-driven rain) and reached Lake Isabella in early May, I found myself
congregating with other thru-hikers there. Reports said the Sierra had
avalanching and white-out conditions.There was only one group I new that
pushed-through at that time, three guys led by this wirey British Chap with
rubber legs. I hoofed it up I-395 and got back on at Echo Lake. You may have
seen my name with a trail-handle of "Cowman and the pup-ape expedition team
(pup-ape being my trusty ice-axe and best friend). Aside from all the snow
early on, man, was that great weather on the trip or what? I seem to recall
the only dreary stretch for me was thru the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. I never
saw it cuz of the fog. Yea, although we didn't have Starbucks ice cream, ice
cream was a big hit. It was the "Ice Cream Kid"(who ever that was, who dared
us to consume a half-gallon of ice cream in one sitting. I did. Woof. Slept
on a washing machine at that little resort on Lake Chelan, when I couldn't
find my campsite, after forgetting to bring my flashlight with me to dinner
and a couple glasses of wine at the restraunt.

Ken Marlow
GIS Analyst/Cartographer
National Geographic Society
kmarlow@ngs.org