[pct-l] Re: DEET Insect repellent

Tom Caggiano wrote:

> If one is worried about ticks, walking in shorts and wearing sandels
> definitely not the way to go.
>
> "http://www.uslink.net/~portage/Lyme.html: Lyme Group puts out this
> guidance: Many tiny things buzz and bite. Nearly all those in the Deep
> Portage region are only a nuisance - but one. The bad fellow is Ixodes
> dammini, a tiny deer tick. This critter sometimes carries a
> spirochete, corkscrew shaped bacterium, that causes Lyme's disease. Lyme
> was first diagnosed near Lyme, Connecticut in 1975. The host tick finds
> happy hunting here because we have produced so many whitetail deer, a host
> in its two year cycle. Cute field mice and white-foot mice are favorite
> hosts for the first year larval form.
>
> Our usual northern woodtick is relatively harmless. The biggest danger from
> this bug is that you will infect yourself after you pull off the tick and
> scratch the puncture.
>
> Lyme disease is serious, but you can defend against it. Use the same
> tactics that protect you from mosquitos and ordinary ticks.
>
> Dressing for outdoors is key to preventing long troubles. Reduce explosed
> skin area when you are in grass or brush. Ticks generally live within three
> feet of the ground. Long-sleeved, full length slacks or pants, and a head
> cover make sense. For fullest protection, tuck trousers into sox. Do not
> wear sandals or beach clogs. Spray repellant on possible openings. On light
> color clothing it is
> easier to spot the bugs as you walk through brush. Ticks are on tips of
> branches and are lured by the carbon dioxide you and animals exhale.
>
> You might use chemical repellants or bug killers. The best repellants
> contain at least 30% DEET. All cans and bottles list their ingredients.
> Choose by cost of the active ingredient.
>
> The best tick killer is permethrine. Caution: put it only on clothing,
> cuffs of trousers and long-sleeved shirts. Do not apply to skin.
>
> Check you body everyday for ticks. With tweezers, grasp an imbedded tick as
> near the mouth or head area and pull gently. Washing with soap and water is
> the best treatment after tick bites.
> Usually a deer tick would have to be attached to the skin for nearly 24
> hours for infection to get started. Don't scratch. A first aid cream will
> help ease the itch.
>
> All you wanted to know about DEET is at Deet's home page:
> http://www.deet.com/about.htm
>
> I generally spray it on the brim of my hat and nylon socks and boots.
> Tom 'hikenet' Caggiano

I realize the stuff you're saying is true, but I wager 90% of all thru
hikers you meet will be wearing shorts and a tee shirt 90% of the time.
The only protection I use is a hat (since it's hard to check my head
when I'm alone), and gaitors w/ shorts, so they don't get in my boots.

Rob

P.S:  I'm going to do the ADT someday...