[pct-l] Dogs on portions of PCT?

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997  lkats@academic.com (Lori Kats) wrote

>Are dogs allowed on the portion of the PCT from Tuolomne Meadows north to
>Timberline Lodge in Oregon? If anyone has any clues on how to find this
>info out, I'd love to hear from you.

Dogs are allowed on the PCT except in National Parks, and California State
Parks. This means that on the section you mentioned, you are not allowed to
bring your pooch in the 56 miles of Yosemite NP from Toulomne North, the 14
miles of Mt Lassen NP, and Burney Falls State Park. Castle Crags State park
has a "dog" trail that roughly follows the PCT.

I wouldn't expect to have any problems except in Yosemite, since most of
the trail is not patrolled, but you never know....

FWIW, the last time I got a ticket for having my dog on a trail in a NP (in
Yosemite, of course $50 about 4 years ago) the only reason we were not
turned back to the trail head was that we were only 2 miles from the park
boundry, and about 10 back to the trailhead where we were dropped off. The
ranger was pretty nasty about the whole thing too.

Good Luck
--
Brick Robbins
San Diego, CA