[pct-l] Ice Axes

After a complicated and time consuming mess up (I paniced and sent the ice
axe to Independence; it needed to be in Lone Pine) which involved a
round-trip yellow blaze, Jon Phipps, the object of my trail angel affections,
reported that he didn't really need the ice axe between Lone Pine and
Independence.  He said enough hikers had been through ahead of him that he
just stepped in their tracks, but did admit the trail was icy and slick.  He
got to Independence (by the trail) on 6/13, but holed up there an extra day
because of snow and hail.  He made Vermilion last night (6/20) and reported
he had taken a couple of river dunkings--not planned ones.  Rivers are high.

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com