[pct-l] re: Craig- north to south hike

Form: Memo
Text: (23 lines follow)
Craig wrote:
We are intending on starting the hike in the North
in the summer of '98.  Leaving in early July and hiking for as long as we
are able (my guess is late September, anybody care to offer other guesses)
and then picking up from where we left off the following year.

Most thru-hikers do the trail from south to north, starting in April or May=
 =
=0D
and maintain a pace that gets them to the Canadian Border before the snows.=
 =
=0D
Although there are mountains that would have snow in the southern region =
=0D
early in the year, it is substantially less than what would be found on the=
 =
=0D
northern end. Because of the long wait for snows to melt in the north, a =
=0D
later southbound hike, usually results encountering snowfall toward the end=
 =
=0D
of a thru-hike. Most, if not all north to south thru-hikes are unsuccessful=
.
   Breaking-up the hike into two trips, with your July start may be the onl=
y =
=0D
way to complete the southbound trek, short of taking more than the two year=
s =
=0D
to complete it in. One disadvantage of the southbound hike, is a somewhat =
=0D
bleak conclusion at the U.S./Mexican Border. Perhaps a week's vacation in =
=0D
San Diego (if your not from the area, as I) would pick-up one's spirits. On=
 =
=0D
the southbound trek, the scenery, I feel, becomes less spectacular once you=
r =
=0D
out of the Sierra. Although I miss dearly the Chaparral-covered slopes of =
=0D
So. California, to see the topography and vegetation become more and more =
=0D
spectacular on my northbound thru-hike, made the trek a dream-like walk =
=0D
through a grand museum.   =