[pct-l] pct-l-digest V1 #131

This message was from PCT-L@SAFFRON.HACK.NET to BOB JONES
and was forwarded to you by BOB JONES
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 00:00:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:  (pct-l-digest)
pct-l-digest          Tuesday, April 29 1997          Volume 01 : Number 131

In this issue:

    RE: [pct-l] RE: Traffic patterns
    Re: [pct-l] Section A Conditions
    [pct-l] re: homemade gear
    [pct-l] Section A Trail Report
    [pct-l] Bear Alert
    [pct-l] PCT Hikers
    [pct-l] Re: ATM Accessibility to PCT
    [pct-l] Now bears?

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 97 11:52:21 UT
From: "Joe Sobinovsky" <sobinovsky@msn.com>
Subject: RE: [pct-l] RE: Traffic patterns

From:  John Koch

joe,
on seeing your post, i was curious as to how many of these individuals
were veterans of other long distant trails and how many were first
timers. do you know?

John,

That's another tough question but I would say that as many as 30-50% of PCT
thru-hikers are AT veterans.  Certainly more than a quarter of them have some
long distance hiking experience.  And probably less than half of them are
first timers (if that means this was their first attempt at any long distance
hiking).  I would like to hear from some of last year's hikers about these
estimates but I know there were a bunch of AT veterans on the PCT in 1995.

Joe at the PCTA office