[pct-l] Re: Ticks

In a message dated 97-04-22 04:36:35 EDT, BLISTERFREE@delphi.com writes:

<< Regarding your comments on the tick situation - is it really this bad, or
even worse generally?  Two ticks per hour?  ...  At what elevations on the
PCT in California would one generally expect a tick problem?  Is this
something confronted mainly while bushwacking through growth around Riparian
sections, or more widespread than that?  Any insight would be welcomed.   -
Blister>Free, AT '96 >>

In March '96, a friend and I day-hiked from Sheep Creek Truck Road to I-15 at
Cajon Pass (the first 14 miles of Section D). That goes from appr. 6,000 feet
down to 3,000 feet. We had ticks all the way. We were on the PCT (not
bushwacking through growth, nor was any of it a riparian section; it is
waterless). When we finished, we estimated that each of us had removed
upwards of 300 ticks during the day. There were times when we might walk
10-15 feet where bushes overlapped the trail a bit and find 30+ ticks each.
Two ticks an hour? I could have lived with that.

I have never seen an area with so many ticks so don't get the impression that
all the PCT is "tick infested."

Charlie