[pct-l] Personal safety on the trail

Bill Qualls wrote -
>What about carrying a gun? I don't want
>to fan any flames here, and I'm sorry if this offends some of you.

Bill -
You can't offend me like that, but I'm gonna give you  my view on
the subject - without flames cause I don't have time for that.
Keep in mind that I'll only speak from the viewpoint of a long
distance hiker who's thruhiking something like the AT or the PCT.
Weekenders, section hiking, etc.  are a different world and would
require more time and energy than I have to give to the subject.

When I left to thruhike the AT I was asked by friends, relatives -
even my local friendly policeman - if I'd carry a gun on the Trail.
I should maybe mention that I'm a gun owner and have been accused
of being a "gun nut".  But I don't carry guns on the trail.  Why?
Several reasons - in descending order of importance:

1. It's too heavy.  Any gun light enough to carry is too light to do
the job. Handguns in manstopping calibers are heavy.  We're talking
1.5 - 3# for a 9mm (and I don't really consider 9mm a manstopping
caliber).  If you want a .45 or .44 Mag, it's even heavier .  Handguns
don't come in bear stopping calibers.  I was recently told that there
are now some lighter guns in these calibers that are lighter - but
even if you cut the weight in half, it would still be too heavy to
carry for 2000+ miles.

2.  Then there's the support equipment (ammo, cleaning gear,
waterproof container, etc) - all extra weight.  Now you're up to
3 - 5 # or more.  For long trail hiking my pack weight is 27 - 30#
(without food and water), and I'll cut the handle off my toothbrush
to save a half ounce.  Adding 3-5 # of deadweight metal to my pack
is unacceptable.

3.  If you're not willing to use lethal force, you shouldn't be carrying
a gun in ANY circumstances, on or off the trail.  And the willingness
to use that level of force is an attitude that's too heavy to carry for
2000 miles.  I know from personal experience that carrying a gun
requires a mindset that's antithetical to the reasons I'm out there.

4.  If you were threatened on the trail, where would the gun be -
at the bottom of your pack maybe?  It's hard to unlimber the hardware
if its hidden.  And if you carry it openly you won't make many friends.
For those who haven't discovered this - heavy objects always end up
at the bottom of the pack.

5.  Paranoia and hoplophobia aside, it's illegal on much of the AT,
the PCT and the CDT.  And even where it's not illegal, the state and
federal laws on carrying vary greatly.  Do you know all of them?

6.  There are legal aspects to self-defense with a gun.  Do you
know them?

7.  Are you prepared to deal with the police and - even worse - the
press if you use it?   Do you really want to abort your thruhike
because some a--hole hassled you and you blew him away?  Isn't
there a better way to handle him?

Enuff - my bottom line is that there's a place for firearms in the
wilderness, but it's a rare long distance hiker who's willing to
carry the extra weight or is even prepared to use a gun if they
were carrying one.

Walk softly - and carry a big stick,
Jim