[pct-l] worried about voilence??

hi as you all (or most ) know i am doing a hike thru starting on may 1. i am
a single woman who up until tonight was not to concerned about my safty. but
my friends have friends who did the trail and know about alot of folks who
were molested. and abused and voilted. . i was wondering what truth this
holds. last year does any one know the persentage of folks assalted or having
a bad thing happen? i had been concerend about the border now i am unsure
about the whole thing.  i am still going but i would really like to down play
the worries my friends and family are having to deal with right now. so any
and all info good or bad would be apprecated. thanks
wendy aka polite cat