Re: [pct-l] questions from a novice

If you start late June going North to South, most thru-hikers should
reach Toulemne Meadows by then.  On your way to Toulemne Meadows, you'll
cross several formidable creeks including Falls Creek right around Wilma
or Wilmer Lake.  The Tahoe-Yosemite Trail crosses just above it heading
towards to Tindall Lake, I think.  After that, you'll cross several
canyons of which, I think either Matterhorn or Stubblefield creek will
be fairly deep, up to your waist or chest....  By this time, you should
start meeting through-hikers, ask them if there are any difficult creeks
to cross and work from there.  Heading towards the junction to
Edison Lake (Vermillion Valley Resort, you'll cross a couple, I forgot
their names but they're something, some river.  There will be lots more
creeks as you head towards Mt. Whitney.

For crossing on wet logs, in addition to all the advice posted, I used
4-point instep cramp-ons to get more traction.  I brought them just in
case I needed them for crossing icy snow fields but found that I really
didn't need them until I got to wet, slippery logs.

Starting in May going North, you'll have to deal with the creeks also
and be one of the first to chop steps up over the passes.  If you decide
to go North, you may want to wait until second week of June and team up
with the through-hikers.  These creek crossings are as difficult, if not
more, as going over the high sierra passes.

Ben