[pct-l] Re: questions from a novice

Re: questions from a novice
Or will I freeze to death, get killed smashing into a rock or drown first?

I got washed away crossing Bear Creek on the JMT section of the PCT in July
95, the summer of the record snowpack. My ultralight pack was nearly empty,
and I had the contents in a plastic bag and my water bottles were empty, so
I kept my belt fastened, and the pack kept me afloat. When I climbed out on
the same bank I started on, about 50' downstream, I was as frightened as I
have ever been in my entire life. A few minutes later, when blood started
to flow back in my frozen legs, I noticed I was bleeding quite profusely
from a 4" shallow cut in my right thigh I didn't even feel.

I was traveling alone, and I knew that a mishap that imobilized me would
probably mean death, since there were few other people on the trail (I had
not seen anyone for 2 days). After I warmed up enough to walk, I went
upstream, above the confluence of 3 smaller streams and found a way across.
It only cost me an hour, instead of my life.

All the advice Ken Marlow gave was correct, but I don't think I'd try the
group crossing, and most rope belaying techniques would probably result in
drowning, if the crosser falls.

One thing I didn't realize was how much the stream level changes during
melt from early morning to late evening. I camped by a river one night, and
couldn't find a way across, but when I woke up the next morning the water
level was more than 2 feet lower, and I found a newly dry - very slippery
log that had been under water the day before that served as a fine bridge.

--
Brick Robbins
San Diego, CA