[pct-l] Pack Volumes/Weight

I appreciate all the comments on my list of gear. I have received
some pretty good ideas over the digest as well as privately.
However, I have an update on the weight of all my stuff since I
obtained a scale.

The weight of all my gear, including the camera and walkman, and
excluding food, water, ice axe, and colder weather gear (pile sweater
and pants) is about 23 pounds with the Mountain Smith Wizard pack;
about one pound more with a Kelty external frame pack; and two pounds
more with the Dana Arclight Glacier pack.

I weighed a 6 day supply of food at an additional 12-13 pounds and,
of course, a liter of water is about 2 pounds ('a pint's a pound the
world around').

So in all, it looks like keeping the total weight under 40 pounds will be
no problem (except for the water lugging days). I'm also confident that
evolution will occur during the hike and I hope that evolution will be in
the direction of reduced weight otherwise it would be devolution, right?).

Anyway, I'm still thinking about alternatives and decisions for
reducing weight.

Bob Betz