[pct-l] Pack Weight Blues

-MSR Dromedary Bag
I had the 4 liter one.  Worked great...took up hardly any space & weight.  I
had a 32 Nalgene bottle, but used the bag for extended water carrys.  It
also worked good to get water from a mosquito infested water source for
cooking and cleaning, then hiking a ways till the mosquitoes were not so bad.
I had one of the older MSR Bag's ...so it burnt the living shit out of my
throat the first few times I used it.  THEN they recall it after I finished
my hike.  (The bad ones have brass grommetts, the good ones have black
plastic ones)

-Therm-a-rest
I actually used one for Mex-WA.  I have found that it is the only thing I
can sleep on and not wake up 6 times during the night.  I used foam pads for
a long long time before the PCT, but I would always wake up a few times
during the night.  With the matress I was able to be a bit more awake the
next morning.  The therm-a-rest also serves another purpose that a foam pad
could never achieve.  It floats!  This way the next time you happen to be
say, 6 miles south of Highway 242 in Oregon the night of September 19, 1996;
the water in your tent won't seep into your sleeping bag as bad.  (It did 40
days and 40 nights worth of raining & snowing that night!)  As far as
deflating them, it takes about a minute, with maybe 2 calories burned.
C'mon, you ain't deflating a stunt landing cushion on a Hollywood Movie set!

-Walkman
  I had one when I did Sections A-E in November.  Music is to big of part of
my life.  Seeing nobody for a month and needing motivation, etc.  Nothing
like a good Husker Du album to get you up that hill.  I did have a tiny
portable sports radio for the trail, that was nice, really didn't weigh
anything.  One battery lasted 3.5 straight weeks!

-Cook pot, a one liter pot was just right.  I could fill it full of corn
pasta & hummus, and eat it all.  Then try and keep myself from puking the
whole works back up.

CG