[pct-l] backcountry fees

Form: Memo
Text: (15 lines follow)
Alan was discussing his costs for hiking in the Grand Canyon. Man, this is =
=0D
unreal!!! I used to work as a Seasonal Law Enforcement Ranger (and fee =
=0D
collector) for the National Park System. We've all seen the fees continue t=
o =
=0D
steadily increase. One could argue that if car campers are having to pay fo=
r =
=0D
camping on the rim, why shouldn't we. But that still doesn't justify this =
=0D
leader fee, and frankly, the NPS is pricing the public out of the parks. I =
=0D
recall when charging entrance fees were controversial for this very reason.=
 =
=0D
Now they're socking it to us twice!? What kind of screwed-up federal policy=
 =
=0D
allows double-dipping in the National Parks, to view our national =
=0D
treasurers, but no fees to be collected at Smithsonian museums? I used to =
=0D
have the highest respect for the N.P.S., only disagreeing on their de facto=
 =
=0D
middle-of-the-road stance visitation policy in high-use areas vs. =
=0D
preservation. Yes, enjoyment of wilderness will soon be only for the elitis=
t =
=0D
(as we have been tagged by the RV and OHV crowds), for those seeking =
=0D
solitude from motor vehicles, and those with the Hefty wallet to do so.