[pct-l] Tarps vs. Tents

Bill Qualls writes:

 > Hi Everyone - I would like to see some more discussion on tarps vs.
 > tents. Jardine makes a strong case for the use of tarps instead of
 > tents (more living room, easier to pitch in the rain, can cook under
 > it). The biggest advantage to tents as I see it is mosquito protection.

Campmor sells a mosquito sleep screen thing that you just position
over your head.  When I hiked the JMT a few years ago, I rarely set up
my tent. Only when it rained.  It seemed like the mosquitos only
bothered me for about an hour around sunset.  Then it got too
cold. But that's at high altitude.

--
Wayne E Dahl                  Coryphaeus Software Inc
408-395-4537                http://www.coryphaeus.com