[pct-l] re: pct-l-digest V1 #56

Vapor Barrier.  With my thru-hike last year, I don't remember any discussion
relating to vapor barriers but, I saw folks using gaiters not only in the
Sierras but also in sections where there are lots of pebbles.  The gaiters
make your socks last a bit longer by keeping them cleaner.

The season for this year.  Of all the years I have lived in the San Francisco
Bay Area, I've noticed that we get the most rain here by the coast and snow
over the Sierras during the months of January and March.  This month,
February, has been very nice although we're only halfway through.  In fact, I
was out whale watching last Sunday by the lighthouse in Point Reyes National
Seashore and saw a couple of Grey Whales migrating north, of which the bulk of
them should arrive in March.  January this year is typical with lots of rain,
February so far is also typical with not much rain, best time to go play in
the snow in my opinion but of course Hwy 50 going to Lake Tahoe is shut down
indefinitely.  If the amount of rain we get in March is also average, then
this year should be as good as any.  Note also that last November around
Thanksgiving, the ski lifts at Lake Tahoe  were not able to open due to the
lack of snow.  That was an indication that the winter season was late and as
such would have less time to accumulate snow.  In comparison, back in 1994,
the snow started falling in mid-October and by the second week of November,
the ski lifts were open.  That resulted in the record year for rain and snow
in 1995.

Other than the weather itself, thru-hiking the PCT undoubtedly is a choice
each of us have to make.  No one else.  Polite Cat, look at the consequences
if you do not hike the trail this year.  Granted that this great job is only
for a year, but no one knows what the future holds.  When the year is up, you
might be offered another great job.  What then?  Will you decide to take that
job or resolve yourself in hiking the trail?  How about the fire that is
within you now to do the trail?  It will not be there forever and as such you
may resolve later not to do the trail.  In the grand scheme of life, say
twenty years from now, when you have a vision to your past, how would you like
to remember 1997 as: the year that you turned down a job to try to thru-hike
the PCT or the year that I took a great job.  Look into yourself for, as Rilke
wrote, "In the depths, all become law."  And in there, you will find an answer
that is based on you before anything else.  Once you find that answer, then
all the outside events become part of what you face.  If you do decide to hike
the trail, you will make adjustments to cope and in so doing, learn more about
your self.  Find some time alone with nature, removed from the distractions of
this human-made world.  It is scary at first but that too passes away and when
it does, you will find yourself embracing all your surroundings, the beauty,
the life, the peace.  And if you do decide not to hike the trail, know that it
is based on your decision alone and as such, you cannot do any better.  Good
Luck.

Ben