[pct-l] re: domelands

 On Sat, 08 Feb 1997 03:10:35 +0000 John Koch <bearclaw@earthlink.net> wrote:

>i was looking at a map of the pct last night and noticed that it ran
>on the outside of domelands wilderness, not through it, and was
>curious as to why. does anyone know?

I think that the trail was routed before the wilderness was designated. The
area that the trail traverses just east of the Kern River probably doesn't
meet the requirements for a wilderness area since there are mines/old roads etc

The trail would have to cross the Kern River to go into the wilderness,
which would require another rather large bridge (the Kern is NOT fordable in
early season).
--
Brick Robbins
San Diego, CA