[pct-l] re: pct-l-digest V1 #48

For Bill Kennington and Bob Turner,

As one of the sixty or so through-hikers who made it from Mexico to Canada
last year, day hikes within 200 miles of Campo, you might consider the Mt.
Jacinto area Section B of the California guidebook, take the tram up from Palm
Spring, bag the peak, head south towards Idylwild, or go the opposite
direction.  There is a cabin at the top of Mt. Jacinto.  Or around 35 miles
further north, in Section C of the guidebook, the East Fork Mission Creek,
north of Teutang Canyon, the place reminded me very much of the Grand Canyon
except it's volcanic in nature.  You'll cross that creek 20+ times, a welcome
change hiking in Southern California.  You might arrange one of these one way
day hike or some sort.

Bob, last year was around 130% of normal.  I left Kennedy Meadows on June 10
and took 10 and a half days to get to Muir Trail Ranch, averaging about 14
miles a day.  Lots of snow.  I heard later that those who left Kennedy Meadows
a week later had an easier time crossing the High Sierras.  For one thing the
steps are already in place.  You just need to follow them up over the passes.

So, this is what I have observed.  Keep track of the amount of rainfall we
get, at 100% of normal, 2nd week of June sounds ok, at 130%, leaving Kennedy
Meadows the third week of June sounds ideal.  Either way, if the steps are
already in place, you'll have an easier time crossing the High Sierras and
maybe safer.  Of course, when the snow melts, you have the creeks to contend
with and they are formidable.  They will get your feet numbed till they hurt.
Still, the Sierras was definitely one of the more memorable stretch of the
PCT.

Ben