[pct-l] Insulating Layers

It seems to be a less popular technique, but I love my down sweater that
I took last year. Ounce for ounce, it was incredibly warm...however, as
they say, you can't get it wet. Especially if you are carrying a down
sleeping bag that might get wet at the same time. The margin for error
on a wet day goes down drastically when you start carrying down clothes,
a down sleeping bag, no pack cover, a thin ground pad, no spare clothes
and a tarp.

I guess the question here is, how much risk are you willing to take? If
you're experienced with keeping things dry, and prepared for the
consequences - Down is awesome, and can't be beat ounce for ounce.
But...If you don't have a lot of wet weather experience, and you have a
family to provide for the other eight months of the year, perhaps
synthetic is the way to go.

That said, my vote is down all the way. It's fluffy, warm and light.
When it's too warm to wear your down clothes to bed, you've got one hell
of a pillow. My choice was the patagonia down sweater, which I think
they still make, though you don't hear much about it cause it's goofy
looking.

-patch