[pct-l] April 1st - Choosing a Start Date

With April just around the corner, it's time to start pinning down a start
date. Following are suggestions that may assist you. Here's an easy example
to determine that pesky start date:

Estimated miles to be hiked per day: 23
Planned 'Zero' Days from Campo to Kennedy Meadows: 8
Sierra Entry Date (Northbound from Kennedy Meadows) : June 18th
Miles to Kennedy Meadows (Northbound): 705

Start date: May 10th

First, we take the miles to be hiked (705) and divide by miles per day (23):
31 days
Then, add our 8 zero days: 39
Subtract 39 days from June 18th and this leaves us with our start date of
May 10th.

Obviously, your results *will* vary.

For the typical hiker you will find that covering 23 miles a day is easy
after your first week. This is a conservative number. For faster hikers plan
accordingly!

Given the amount of snow continuing to accumulate in the Sierra's (over 138%
Glen Pass north) June 18th is a reasonable ballpark date for entering the
Sierra's. If you're not too keen on walking through snow, push the date back
a bit to minimize the experience. But be prepared to deal with snow in the
Sierra's, period.

Most importantly, don't lose sight of what your hike is about to YOU. Don't
get distracted by events that are irrelevant to your hike and possibly
contrary to your well being. Determine a start date that best suits YOU and
YOUR abilities. And be flexible.

Scott Parks

Snow Conditions, PO's, Weather, GPS, Maps : http://Postholer.Com
Peak Geek Hiker Supply: http://PeakGeek.Com