[pct-l] Mile 518.4 - Hikertown

I just have to pipe in about Hikertown....

  I hadn't really planned to go, based on the mixed reviews that I had heard prior to embarking on my trip.

  When I was in Tehachapi, I received a personal invitation via email to "come on down to hiker town".  Always up for an adventure.... I decided to visit....   Richard Skaggs was out of town.  I think I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get to meet him after hearing all of the hype.

  Bob was INCREDIBLE!  When I arrived on his doorstep, hot, hungry, and drooling,
Bob gave me the cheeseburgers that he had ordered for his own dinner.

  I was there alone, but after spending so much time on the trail with only the demons in my own mind for company, I think that I would have given Richard a run for his money had he been in residence.

  I loved Bob and Hikertown and I will go back.... even if Richard is there.... er, um.... maybe I should say, especially, if Richard is there...

  My 2 cents....

  Splash.... a middle aged woman... alone on the trail...
Pea Hicks <phix@optigan.com> wrote:

yogi wrote:

> Another PCT-L post today from a 2005 hiker stated
> "females may feel more comfortable here in numbers".
> That should tell you a lot. Do you want to spend time
> at a place like that? It appears to me that the bad
> vibe that surrounds this place has not disappeared.

to be fair, i only included that bit in my post because of stories i've
heard from previous hikers' experiences, mostly thru various trail
journals. when i was there, it was only me and one other hiker, another
guy. so i have no first-hand knowledge of how the gals are treated
there. i didn't meet skaggs either- he wasn't around when i was there.
for me, hikertown was a fine, uneventful experience, and bob the
caretaker went out of his way to meet my needs and make me feel welcome.
ymmv.

cheers-
girlscout