[pct-l] Re: The Trail Con

Let me repeat what I said earlier, here in the urban jungle it is hard to imagine - or remember - how much kindness and goodwill exists on the trail. We are currently surrounded and assulted by every imaginable con game.

Yoging is the art of helping others help you. People who offer help to thru hikers mean well but do not know what we need. And sometimes we make critical, hike ending, mistakes which a little bit of assistance will correct.

Chance

Kenneth McMillen <kenmcmillen2004@hotmail.com> wrote: I want to respond to the trail con thread that is going on.  While it seems
humorous to try and "compete" for how much free stuff you can yogi, I think
it is important to realize that hikers need help from people at certain
times, usually in the way of a ride or information.  The only help I seek is
specifically that.  If you don't have enough food or supplies then you
shouldn't be out on the trail.  Forcing good samaritans to give it to you
just teaches them that the trail is full of beggars.  I don't want to meet
the samaritan who has had that experience and then won't offer me a ride,
etc.  I was overwhelmed by some of the nice people I met on my partial thru
hike with the rides and even housing I got, but never asked for food or
supplies. One guy talked with us for 20 minutes after giving us some water
and was so impressed with what we were doing that he tried to give us money!
  You can't buy water or food when you need it the most (3 days behind
schedule to your next resupply!) so I refused the $20 bill.  When he was
about to leave, he shoved the bill in my pack and ran to his car and took
off so I couldn't return it.  He felt so good about it that it was probably
better to accept his gift anyway.  That kind of person needs to be treated
with respect by hikers.