[pct-l] Whitney and one's pack?

The marmots will go after anything salty.  I wouldn't
leave my pack around for them to attack.  I can't
imagine hiking through the Sierra with shredded
shoulder straps (say that 3 times fast!).  Many hikers
leave their food in the bear boxes, but take *at
least* food for the day, warm clothing, and rain gear
to the summit.  You need your pack to carry that
equipment.

More importantly, though, is safety when climbing
Whitney.  Both times I went up, my group also brought
one sleeping bag and one tarp.  You never know if
someone will get injured and be unable to hike out.  I
learned years ago in the boy scouts (yep, it's true, I
was in the *boy* scouts) that even on day hikes you
should have at least one sleeping bag and a shelter
JUST IN CASE.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

--- Robert Ellinwood <rellinwood@worldnet.att.net>