[pct-l] Battery Info

I am doing the PCT this year as a thru hike & received this information
today from a friend. I thought the hiking community might be interested (I
am) so will forward this to you for posting. This is my first try at posting
although I did answer 1 email directly. So bear with me please.

Jim Fulmis (Yeti)

Hi Jim,

Just yesterday I was enlightened about a new AA battery just out.  It is a
new lithium battery made by Eveready Energizer.  They are the only ones
making it, and will be the only ones making it as they hold the patent on
it.  It is an amazing discovery by Eveready Energizer.  They were able to
get a 1.5V cell from lithium chemistry.  The normal lithium chemistry
(lithium, lithium ion and the rest) have cell voltages of 2.7-3.7.  I looked
long and hard last night and I finally found what I was looking for, actual
data sheets (see attached).  The L91 is the one that I am talking about.  I
also downloaded the  E91 and the X91 for comparisons.  Of course the lithium
L91 is better, hands down.  This is quite a breakthrough.  The batteries
operating temperature range is goes to -40 degrees F, way beyond any other
battery.  The capacity is 3000 mAH.

The reason for this email is that I know you recently bought a GPS and that
you may be taking it on your trip.  If you do, you should investigate the
L91.  Do note however, several of the Energizer batteries say E2 (E squared)
as a logo as such.  They are not all the same.  You have to look for the L91
part number.  These batteries are very expensive, $2-3/each, but will worth
it as they last seven times longer.  In that sense, they are a bargain.  You
can get them at REI as well as other places.  You may want to try them first
to be sure (before your trip), but according to the data, they should be
great.