[pct-l] a hike on pct question about snow

soCal is experiencing something of a "March miracle" and Mom Nature is
dumping lots of snow on the Sierras this year.  There's another series of
storms supposed to hit this weekend, most certainly bringing more snow to
Section G - and the descent from Trail Crest, should you get that far, will
likely require at least basic mountaineering & navigation skills.   I second
AsABat's mention of the whitneyportalstore website as a source for
up-to-date local information.

fwiw, on Memorial Day weekend in 1977, a drought year, my husband & I hiked
from Cedar Grove on the west side, ascending the Bubbs Creek drainage, to
climb Mt. Rixford.  There was almost no snow at all, except for a
north-facing snow-slope high on the mountain.  Snow levels all depend on the
year - and while we're not receiving the amount of snow we did last year,
there still seems to be a lot of it.  I don't think it will be gone by late
May.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94

www.pcta.org
Join Now!

Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached its top.  Then
you will know how low it was.
                                                                     Dag
Hammarskjold