[pct-l] Re: Trail Addiction

HYOH
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim McCrain" <jim@mccrain.net>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 11:51 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Re: Trail Addiction

To everyone that has sent me hate mail for expressing an opinion:

I am not saying that Reinhold doesn't love the Sierra's (or any other wild
place) or that he didn't enjoy his trip.  I am not saying that he is wrong
for racing through the wilderness.  I just cannot fathom how anyone could
rush through such a wonderfull area.  If what he wants to do is travel long
distances on foot, in a short amount of time, then I don't think the JMT is
the place to do that.

Here are a few reasons for that last statement.  (1) There are limited
numbers of people that are allowed into this region each year.  Taking up
one of the coveted permit slots just for a race denies someone else the
opportunity to go out and truly experience this magical region.  (2) Animals
generally respond in a much more frenzied/drastic manner when confronted by
fast moving people.  Fast movements are often considered to be antagonistic
or aggressive, and thus trigger the "flight or fight" response.  "Low
impact" hiking involves not disturbing the fauna as well as the flora.  (3)
The few times that I have encountered someone hiking long, hard, fast
distances along the JMT and have had the opportunity to talk to them, I have
recieved very starteling responses from them.  Case in point: when asked
about the conditions of a particular pass, I was given the response "Which
one was that?"  When I asked about the Evolution Creek crossing, I was told
that "They are all about the same."  These two people couldn't even tell the
passes and river-crossings apart, because they were doing so many of them so
close together that they couldn't tell them apart or remember anything
special about them.  And these people were only covering about 20 miles a
day!

When I hike (or "saunter") through an area, I take the time to notice the
types of flowers growing, the different types of insects, the way the
topography changes from rough, crumbly rock to lush, grassy meadows.  I
literally stop to smell the flowers, and take time to watch the deer (and
bear) cross the valleys before me.  I listen to the sound of the creeks
rushing by, or the rain as it falls through the canopy of leaves above me.
I watch the shadows race across the face of a mountain a mile away from me,
while basking in the warmth of the bright sun on my shoulders.  In other
words, I take the time to enjoy the surroundings and to experience what
nature brings my way.  When I want to race, I go somewhere else.

I hope that Reinhold, and anyone else that likes racing and "fast hiking"
continue to "hike their own hike", but I also hope that they will take the
time, every once in a while, to stop and enjoy the beauty that the
wilderness areas provide.  If they don't, then they might as well go run
around Central Park.  (And in case you didn't know, Central Park is entirely
man-made.)

By the way, what is a "Deems" and why do so many people think it is so
special?

Jim "Slow down and enjoy it" McCrain