[pct-l] Alternate route to JMT

For the past two summers I've spent a week walking a section of the Sierra High Route, a mostly off-trail route that parallels the JMT.  I recommend it highly.  I have found myself having to do some scrambles that I'd not do if I were by myself, so I don't recommend it as a solo trip.  Mileage is typically much lower than for the JMT as there is talus walking, route finding, and other obstacles to overcome.

There's a fun book by Steve Roper describing the route.  It's much harder to follow if you walk the route in the reverse order (have you ever tried to walk towards a dark notch in reverse?), but doable (so far).  Steve Roper's choice of words often had my partners and me laughing with phrases like, "the hiker's heart will rebel at the sight of the drop-off, but the descent is straightforward" or "hikers will want to cavort like children in such & such meadow" (we did!).

Sarah