[pct-l] PCT with Personal Locator Beacons

Hi Kim,

A bit of history, first.  I carried an early version of a plb on the  Crest
in 1974.  It was given to me by a pilot friend who had always flown  with it
before they were built into planes. It was twice the size of a box of
cigarettes and weighed too much, but for the solo 17-year old hiker it was what  my
mother required to let me go.  I never used it and now it sits in my  "museum"
box.

A backcountry emergency is never expected, can have catastrophic
consequences, can have an incredible cost, even if you live through it, but some
contingency plan should be held.

This is my take: The most valuable tool you have at your constant disposal
is your wisdom, which, when utilized, can keep you from needing to be rescued
in  the first place.  However, accidents happen to even the most cautious and
experienced.  Since the idea is to have repeated safe and enjoyable
wilderness visits over a lifetime, carrying a plb can ensure that should wisdom  and
experience fail and an accident happen.  A plb is small, doesn't  weigh much,
and provides lifesaving emergency aid. Just don't consider it to be  an "easy
out" when faced with rough or unforeseen circumstances; in other words,  don't
abuse it unless your situation is life threatening.  I worked for the  Forest
Service as a Backcountry Wilderness Ranger and facilitated a few  helicopter
rescues and know how many people get together to save our hides  should we need
it.  Use your head, first, to practice avoidance of  potentially dangerous
situations.

Mtnned