From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Ken Powers
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 10:44 AM
To: Mike Saenz; Jamie Rae Whiteley; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] fuel cannisters

On cold mornings (and evenings) canisters that are on the low side seem to
ice up, especially in the cold. I first noticed that many years ago on a boy
scout trip. I have used canisters many times above 12,000 feet and not
experienced any problems. I don't think altitude is the problem.

There are a couple of things you can do to make it work better. I put the
canister in my sleeping bag to get it warm at night. That helps a lot in
boiling my morning water. The other solution is to wrap you hands (sans
gloves) around the iced up canister to warm it. I don't think that works
very well, besides making my hands freezing cold. My problem is that I can't
get contact with all the canister and still have icey spots.